The free figshare.com platform is for academic content from individuals that benefits and can be re-used by the research community.
Figshare is an active member of COPE, adopting the common principles and ethics of the traditional academic community, and ensuring transparency and best practice.
We maintain the right to take down any data that does not adhere to our Terms of Acceptable Use.
As per our terms, we are able to: remove or disable access to the infringing material. We will notify the content provider, member, or user that it has removed or disabled access to the material; and that repeat offenders will have the infringing material removed from the system and that Figshare will terminate such content provider’s, member’s or user’s access to the Service.
In order to publish content on the free Figshare platform:
- content must be 'Research Data', this should be taken to mean non-traditional research outputs, i.e anything that is not a journal article such as figures, supplementary figures and theses.
However, content must not:
- have already been published, and therefore have an existing DOI
- be copyrighted (if you are unsure please check with the publisher or owner)
- contain sensitive information (for example: medical data and personal data as defined by GDPR, click here for more information
Some examples of content that is inappropriate for the free platform are:
- If you are promoting a product or linking to a page where you are selling things - it will be removed and your access to the free platform may be revoked.
- It cannot be re-used by the academic community and is of no benefit to the academic community and therefore just for you or your organisation - it will be removed and your access to the free platform may be revoked.
- Content that you do not own. Do not upload content such as journal articles that do not belong to you - it will be removed and your access to the free platform may be revoked.
If you are a fan of Figshare functionality, but want to use it for content that does not adhere to the above guidelines, our commercial offerings allow for creation of a repository that belongs to you. If you would be interested in our annual license fees, please email email@example.com.